The most significant change in marketing in the last 20 years is not all the platforms that have appeared.
It is what they have enabled; which is that the consumer is now in charge of where, when, and how they consume information.
While you’re busy running your business your ideal target client is…
- Asking for recommendations from friends, family, neighbors, Google, Facebook, etc.
- Reading reviews on Google, Yelp, Facebook, and other sites trusting those reviews as much as word-of-mouth information from their friends and family
- Seeing ads and deals from your competitors related to the problems they’re trying to solve
- Looking for specials and offers related to their searches
- Repeating these activities over and over again
And you and your team are not directly involved in this conversation.
So, how do you influence this conversation towards your company?
Build a Marketing System for your Small Business. This system includes:
- Understand what problems your ideal customers are trying to solve
- Publish content that helps customers solve these problems on your website, social media, and email
- Ask for “social proof” through reviews across the major platforms where your customers congregate
- Educate your partners and customers about the problems you solve and how best to refer your business
- Measure your results and adjust your marketing mix over time
Let’s chat if you’d like to start building a marketing system for your business.
Photo by Linus Nylund on Unsplash